Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Bench is Underway!

I have been a painting fool again today.  I have more sign orders to fill and I am trying to keep my nose to the grindstone and keep up with them.  But in between coats of paint I have been working on my bench.

This is my inspiration..

image

I had shared this in my Take a Seat Post

Since I cannot really see the sides or back I am winging it to the best of my ability. And I am using materials I have on hand so it is a bit of a challenge. But here goes nothing…

DSC_0001

I started with these blanks, I had my husband cut the sheets of plywood to 48” x 18”. I did not know how tall I as going to make the bench but knew it had to be under 48”. 

Then I eyed the above photo of the bench and used different sized circles (like a paint can lid, styrofoam plate and a big clock face blank) to work out the curves.  I clamped it to my worktable I built (love this thing)and started up my jigsaw.

DSC_0002

It was messy but we got the job done.  I prefer doing the sawing outside because of all the sawdust flying everywhere but it was raining today. Soon I had this..

DSC_0004

I gave the back a slight angle and the back piece will sit on that little ledge. So far I think I am going to like it and from here on out it should be fairly straight forward.  (I hope)
On another note, here are two of the signs I was finishing up today.

DSC_0002-001

I am really liking this Antiques sign.. I may have to make another.

DSC_0003-001

Well, I am done in for today.  Tomorrow I have errands to run and my hair to get trimmed so I doubt I will get any painting done or get to work on my bench. 

Enjoy your evening.
signaturePamela


Farm Girl Friday

French Country CottageChic on a Shoestring Decoratinghttp://tidymom.net/Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for
 the weekend wrap up party!Country Momma CooksFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialIt's OVerflowingUndertheTableandDreamingBetween Naps On The PorchMaking

35 comments:

  1. Love both your paintings. Can't wait to see the finished bench. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, the bench will be gorgeous & your paintings are awesome.
    TTFN ~
    Have a beautiful eve ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, i am excited to see the bench when you are through with it! ~ xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps - your signs are darling!!!! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your signs, and that bench is going to be wonderful! Can't wait to see it all dolled up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you do beautiful paintings, pam! love your inspiration pic, too! your bench will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the curved shape of your bench... I look forward to seeing more progress. The signs are fabulous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your signs are the best, you make wonders out of a simple raw wood, I like your work very much and I'm well impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your signs. I am impressed with your doing the Bench from sight. My husband loves doing that. I benefit. :) I too am going to have to become a follower to see how this bench and other things come out. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers on the Marche' sign seem to come right off the sign. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHAT GREAT BENCH, IT WILL BE LOVELY. ARE YOU PAINTING FLOWERS ON IT? WISH I HAD A WORK AREA
    FOR THE TABLE SAW I HAVE AND OTHER TOOLS. I WANT TO BUILD ONE TOO! LOVE IT.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  12. A gorgeous bench! What a wonderful piece of furniture and to think you made it yourself! Faye

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving your beautiful signs and your bench is going to be fabulous. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see it done. I'm to scared of power tools to do anything like that. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Followed over from The Shabby Nest. Can't wait to see the finished product - I love the curves. Wish I had a work area like this. After leaving you this comment, I am going to see your work table - just to drool a little!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure your bench is going to turn out lovely. I do like the signs. I found you on Miss Mustard Seed and I'm now following; I would appreciate if you could follow me back. Tx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The signs are gorgeous and that bench would inspire me also... looks amazing... can't wait to see your version...xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful bench! LOVE IT! I'm your newest follower!

    http://ahouseofonesown-monicalivas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your bench. Pretty and shabby chic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Pam! Wow! I am impressed! I love your new bench in the making and your signs are beautiful...
    I like the antique one too! Thanks for sharing with the farmgirls this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look forward to seeing the finished bench!! Happy ppf!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The bench is off to a great start. I can't wait to see it once it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are quite the crafty gal, aren't you, Pamela! Wow! I love that you see something you love and dive right in to make it yourself! Way to go! I can hardly wait to see the big reveal! Your signs are fabulous, too, I have to say! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great signs...and I can't wait to see your finished bench! You're off to a wonderful start!

    I am your newest blog follower, too!! :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your bench and your sign are really pretty! I'm now a follower...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't wait to see how your bench turns out. Looks great already! If you're looking for another place to share your progress, head on over to Etcetorize, party starts tonight (http://etcetorize.blogspot.com). Hope to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stopping by From Under the Table and Dreaming. I can't wait to see your bench! The inspiration is gorgeous. I love to find fellow painters and their blogs. I am following you now, would love to have you stop by my blog and follow along if you'd like!
    Kim
    tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Visiting from Between Naps on the Porch. Those signs are beautiful and your bench is going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can't wait to see the after photos! And I, too, love that antiques sign. It's gorgeous!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those signs are sooooo pretty! Can't wait to see how your bench turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those signs are really awesome and I believe your bench will be so also.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's going to be gorgeous. Thanks for linking to Cowgirl Up.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful and so inspiring to see you taking it on from scratch! I will be back to see how you fare with it. I found you on the Cowgirl Up party at Cedar Hill Ranch. Hope you'll stop by and see what's up in my part of the world sometime! I'm now following, hope you'll follow back when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks link and great party. Hope to see you again tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...